Green Business Schemes
Sustainable City Charter
On 15 November 2022, the Westminster Property Association and Westminster City Council launched the Sustainable City Charter at a packed-out event attended by over 100 property companies and businesses.
Westminster’s businesses and institutions and the world famous buildings they occupy are historic and help make London the incredibly exciting and vibrant place is it today. However, these buildings also contribute about 70% of Westminster’s total greenhouse gas emissions, which contribute to climate change.
The free Sustainable City Charter is an innovative, business led climate action pledge which contains 8 commitments for reducing carbon emissions from non-domestic buildings. The commitments cover:
- energy emissions
Signing the Charter gives you access to an evolving toolkit of support, advice and local case studies designed to help all kinds of businesses in the city regardless of where you are on your journey to tackling climate change. Joining together means we can all work to tackle the climate emergency.
You can read the Charter and there are more details about the sign up process below.
Sustainable City Charter
(PDF, 26 pages, 948.39 KB)
If your organisation is interested in signing up to the Charter, please fill out the short Expression of Interest form below. A member of our team will then get in touch with you to support you through the next steps.
If you would like more information or have a question that isn’t addressed in the Charter document above, get in touch with us at email@example.com
Expression of Interest
Frequently Asked Questions
Which organisations can sign up to the Charter?
The Charter is open to any organisation, whether for profit or not, which owns, manages or occupies one or more non-domestic buildings in Westminster.
Why should organisations sign up to the Charter?
By signing up to the Charter, participants will benefit from:
- the opportunity to demonstrate their commitment to Westminster’s city wide 2040 net zero target and use the Charter promotional material and branding
- access to exclusive networking and knowledge-sharing events
- a toolkit of links and guidance to support them as they go about implementing the Charter commitments in their organisation.
- early adopter small businesses will receive a free 1-year licence to the Climate Essentials carbon monitoring platform and one-to-one support to kick start their net zero journey
How does the Charter sign-up process work?
- Complete the short expression of interest form below.
- Once you are ready, submit your full application form. This will be your opportunity to provide information about your plans and your baseline emissions. You will also confirm your participation in the Charter.
- Once you are confirmed as a participant, you will demonstrate your action on the Charter commitments through an annual progress update.
Fill in our online form below and we’ll be in touch about the full application, and to answer any questions you may have.
Read our data protection notice to learn about how the council complies with data protection laws when processing your data.